Monday, October 20, 2014

Sunday and Monday

Yesterday, Sunday, was a generally good day, after a strenuous night. During the night Sigve's temperature rose, and he got those frost rushes that really shake your body. The night nurse claimed she couldn't find any blankets or extra duvets, which of course is crap. He got a hot water bottle, that was it, and didn't help very much, and she went off duty without even telling anyone what Sigve needed. We complained about this to the day staff. When the day nurse came, she really took hold of the situation, got him his big woolen sweater, woolen socks and an extra thick duvet, and raised the temperature in the room. So when I got there, he was feeling a lot better. He had a big lunch, and then Hilde Marie and Leon came to visit too.

In the afternoon Hilde Marie and I put together a food list with food that we are convinced is the best diet for a cancer patient: no sugar, no gluten, lots of vegetables, pure protein sources, no prefabricated stuff, just to mention some, and it was accepted. It remains to be seen if they manage to follow it up. Regular hospital food complies with official dietary guidelines, and we don't really agree with all of them. 
So last night, in stead of sandwiches he got smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, yummy and healthy. 

Last night was a good one, no temperature, but with all the fluids Sigve receives, he wakes up every hour to fill a bottle. Frequently interrupted sleep gives reduced sleep quality. Then in the early hours of morning his temperature rose again, and he also had a very low blood count and platelet count so they gave him refills of both. All this made him very tired. When Hilde Marie, Leon and I arrived around noon, he was still asleep. We woke him up, got him to put on his hearing aids and glasses, and that increased contact with the world worked wonders. During the next hours his temp sank, and the rest of the day was good. 

Today's highlight for Sigve was when Leon, 
on his arm, smiled many big smiles at him.

These days Helmer can't visit; Sigve can't leave the room and children between 1 and 14 are not allowed into this ward, they are likely to bring contaminating diseases from kindergarden and school. This is hard on both of them, they have that very special bond.

An important part of Sigve's treatment is rinsing his mouth with Caphosol 4 times a day to prevent fungus infections in the mouth cavity from the chemo. This worked very well last time, he had very little mouth soreness. Hoping for the same result now.

Hangman is busy these days. Sigve gets fluids most of the time, and antibiotics, and today there was the blood and platelet refills,  and then the chemo from 4 pm. Hicky has 3 valves, and all of them were in use a lot today.  

I'm grateful for the enormous resources that our society spends on trying to save Sigve's life. 

1 comment:

Laura said...

What an unkind nurse the night one was… I'm glad the day time staff were there to make Sigve more comfortable. Helmer must miss his grandfather very much, and it would be hard for him to understand the very important reason for keeping them apart. It is good the baby was able to visit and bring a smile to Sigve's face. I remember being a little girl and coloring for what seemed like hours in the waiting room on the lower level of the hospital for them to wheel our grandmother down to see us. She was not in danger of contamination, but children were not allowed up on the floors in those days unless they were patients themselves. I still can picture the large grandfather clock and watching the hands slowly move, longing to sit on my nana's lap. Much love to you dear Inger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...